Summary: Manages purchasing receiving and producing all food items in the facility, along with overseeing the stewarding department and maintaining all culinary equipment to include china, glass, silverware. Also, oversees the hiring and training of all kitchen personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ordering, receiving and preparing all food items while maintaining food costs and budget goals.
- Produce required product according to Banquet Event Orders for each event.
- Develop proposals for potential clients, to include tastings on larger plated events.
- Entertain prospective clients of the Convention Center or Arena through Chef’s tables.
- Report on a daily basis to the Food & Beverage Director the event by event costs.
- Maintains an active role in local hospitality community and professional associations.
- Attend in-house event-related meetings and relays immediate changes with other departments.
- Develop menus and other projects.
- Maintaining all kitchen equipment cleanliness and coordinating annual maintenance.
- Participate in promotional media related events to promote the facility.
- Hiring and Training of all kitchen and stewarding staff to include ServSafe and any Health department regulations.
- Maintain and manage culinary and stewarding personnel to meet labor and production objectives.
- Give oversight and direction to retail production and deliverability.
- Assure that the Food & Beverage Department maintains a Health Department score of 90 or higher.
- Maintain safe, secure, and sanitary working conditions and leave work area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Abides by all SMG policies in the Human Resources Policies and Procedures Manual, the Business Code of Conduct, and the Cash Handling Procedures.
- Produces foods for demonstrations for live audiences.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must pass background and drug test.
- Certificate or degree from an accredited culinary school, college or technical school preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in management level position in Food & Beverage or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience in overall Food and Beverage operations, sales, inventory control, cost control and food preparation procedures.
- Previous experience in food purchasing (Catering & Concession), including price negotiations.
- Excellent knowledge of current culinary and concession trends, presentation, and food quality.
- Previous experience in standardizing recipes, plating, and costing of menus.
- Previous experience working with sub-contractor vendors
- ServSafe certified.
- Alcohol awareness certificate and training capabilities.
- Strong orientation to customer service and ability to work with clients and staff members.
- Results oriented individual with the ability to meet required budgetary goals.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, planning, written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and service oriented.
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to be creative with buffet presentations and maintain a quality product.
- Must pass background check and drug screen.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative and minimal supervision.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with employees and others encountered through the course of employment.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results in a fast-paced, multi-tasking work environment.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Operate standard office equipment and personal computer(s) using MS-DOS, MS Windows, MS Excel, MS Outlook and MS Word.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Strong orientation to customer service and ability to work with other staff members in the facility.
- Ability to be creative with food presentations and maintain a quality product.
- Must maintain local Health Codes and sanitation HACCP.
- Charismatic flair for live demo appearances with social media interaction.
Working Conditions: Requires ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours. Physical requirements include walking, stooping, lifting up to 30 lbs. and standing for extended periods.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
Note: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
*Applicants that need accommodations to complete the application process may contact 225-389-3030.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
Gail Mason, Human Resources Manager
SMG/Raising Cane’s River Center
275 South River Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
We will review all applicants and those closely meeting our minimum qualifications will be called for an interview. Walk-in applications are accepted at the Baton Rouge River Center office on Mondays only from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
SMG/Raising Cane's River Center